Thursday, January 26, 2006

The New U Program

I first went to the New U program October 2004. Dr. Liljenquist, my diabetis doctor, suggested that I check it out. He recommended that I have the Bariactric Surgery. That is gastric bypass surgery. He told me to go home and pray about it. I had to think long and hard about it. I knew that my diabetis was getting worse, I was on 18 different prescription medications for various problems. Besides diabetis, I had Hypertension(high blood pressure), GERD, gout, hypothyroidism(low thyroid), respiratory problems, neuropathy especially in my feet but also in the nerves that lead to my internal organs, hypomagnesimia(low magnesium), panreatic insufficiency, and osteoarthritis. He said that that surgery while it won't cure all, can cure some and improve the condition of all of the others. I went to a seminar in August which explained the program and what we would have to do for our insurances to consent to pay for the surgery. I went to the monthly support group which is held the fourth Thursday of every month (except for November which is the third Thursday) in October, November, January and February. I glad I went. People who have had the surgery were there and helped me learn what I could expect and the great improvements it could bring about. I saw Dr. Baird in January and Sandy the dietician, and Eric the exercise physiologist, then too. I told Dr. Baird that I had't had a definite yes but I hadn't had a definite no either. He told me to give him a call when I had my definite yes. The program stipulates that you must see the dietician at least three times and the exercise physiologist at least twice before you will be considered for the surgery. The dietician to get you used to eating more slowly and getting used to not eating certain foods. The exercise physiologist helps you get an exercise program if you don't have one because they tell you that you will have to exercise the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off.

3 comments:

Tigersue said...

Hi mom,
If you would like, tell me sites that you would like to have linked from yours and I will do that for you. You can also invite anyone else to be colaborators to help you with the coding if you would like.

MomR said...

Thanks Tanya. I'm not sure what links I would use nor do I fully understand the colaborators thing. I will continue to take things slowly as I learn about what I am doing.

Tigersue said...

links I could put are to all your family blogs and internet site you like and enjoy going to from time to time.
colaborators are like what I am, but that is more to help you with the settings and templates, things you might not want to play around with yourself.
Kim and Bryan would both be good at that for you.
Just ideas as you get used to this thing. Good job!