Friday, January 27, 2006

A New U Graduation

Last night I graduated from the New U program. It was a very nice program and very inspirational. There were 10-12 or us. I forgot to count and they didn't have our names listed on the program. They had before pictures and after pictures. My before picture, I used the one that Karl took at Shani & Jon's reception. It's hard to believe that I used to look like that. (I guess that means I've gotten used to the way I look now. :) ) I wish I had a scanner (I will some day) for I would like to scan in both pictures for this blog. Two of the New U faculty told me that they didn't remember my looking like that. People do tend to remember others as they last saw them. The woman who represented us and told her story told us that she started out at 450 lbs. before her surgery. She weighed in last week at 258 lbs. Heavier than what I was to start with. But she was dying she said and now she has a life, is so much healthier, and can even walk without a cane now. She looked great. The man who represented us is a rancher from Star Valley, WY. He said that He weighed over 350 lbs. and people had to boost him on his horse so he could do his work. He said that he fell off that horse many more times than he was ever bucked off. He said that now after he gets on his horse, the horse turns and asks him if he's on yet. Many of the people I wouldn't have known them when they were so heavy because I've only seen them as they lost weight. A young man (probably in his mid 40's) had his surgery the same day I had mine. Since he lives in Preston, ID I haven't seen him since our first breakfast the first Wednesday in April. I wouldn't have recognized him. He is about 1/3 or the man he was. He says he's feeling great and doing just great. I told him I was too. They served Crystal light lemonade with strawberries in, Mazzerella cheese, shrimp with a dip, carrot and cucumber slices with a dip. It was all very good. They would call our name and put up the before picture and as we went up to receive our T-shirt, carnation, and fake certificate that said we would get the real thing in two weeks in the mail, they put up the after picture. Of course everyone could see our after results in person.:) I was glad I went and Karl was glad he went to. It made me feel real good about what I have done and my progress. I will later explain about my weight, medications, and my process thro' the program. I have no regrets and am a great fan of this kind of surgery. It really does save lives. If I had a scanner I would put in my before and after pictures. Maybe some day. I'm saving for a new state of the art computer this summer then maybe I can add it to it.

No comments: