Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Faith of our Fathers

Today is just an easy going day when I can just stay home all day. I've worked on the baby afghan for Bryan & Sandy's baby, put stuff in the bread maker for some raison bread, and read every one's blog. Bryan suggested that I talk about some of the "non-fiction" books that I've read. I haven't read any for a while. But I'm on the second volume of Faith of our Fathers. It is historical fiction based on the Civil War. It is very interesting. In the manner of Gerald Lund, NC Allen has fictional people in situations that actually took place at that time. She lists a bibliography but doesn't document to the extent that Lund did, but you can tell she has done research and used real life happenings. It really shows the condition of the South at that time, (I'm now in 1862.) The plantation owners were litteraly scared for their lively hood and way of life. They knew that they would not be able to maintain their way of life without slavery. But the condition of most of the slaves was very pathetic on the most part. And she has been able to describe their feelings about not being free to do and live as they wish....even those who were treated well, they still were "owned" by someone else and had to do as they were "commanded" to do. She tells of women who disguised themselves as young boys and fought right along with the men, not being discovered until they were prepared for buriel after they were killed. She told of families split up because some of them didn't believe in slavery and owning other human beings and those who didn't see anything wrong with slavery. She also told how the South believed that they could exist on their own and "whup" the Union in just a few days. It is a good story and does make you think about what went on then. NC Allen is LDS and portrays people of faith even tho' they aren't of our faith. She also decribes what was going on in Utah at the time. I didn't realize that the LDS people also sent militia to help with the war, keeping the mail routes and telegraph lines open and working. It seems Indians as well as ruffians were destroying them. There are four volumes in the series.

Last year I reread the Work & the Glory series. I wanted to reread them because of the emphasis on Joseph Smith and his 200th birthday anniversary. I thoroughly enjoyed them and my testimony of Joseph Smith and his mission and what he and Emma went thro' as well as the early Saints has really grown. My apprecition of him and for the Book of Mormon has greatly increased also. In reading the Book of Mormon twice last year, I had two main tho'ts.....1) that I was amazed at the knowledge the Nephite people had of the Savior, His mission, His death, and even how long before He rose from the dead so many years even before his birth. If the Jews and people of Palestine knew these things it isn't reflected in the Bible. And 2) as we were reading in Moroni, I think it is chapter 8 where he recorded the letter from Mormon, his father, about infant baptism and how it is a mockery of God and Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Even the reason for baptism by immersion and what it symbolizes and represents. These things are also found in Moses in the Pearl of Great Price. So we know that they were given to the Old Testament prophets or at least one Old Testament Prophet.
y tho't was these are some of the plain and precious things that have been removed from the Bible that we are told have been removed from it. I told my husband that surely the Old Testament Prophets were told these same things.....but our present day Bible does not reflect that. These are just some of the tho'ts I have had as we have been reading the scriptures last year and this year.

10 comments:

Tigersue said...

Hi mom,
I added a few links! I figured you would like your families blogs on here. I tried to get to Gracies but it is blocked, and I also tried Bryan's but it didnt' come up so I dont' know if he has one or not. If you would like I could add Kim to your list with his knowledge base he could really help you out, as you can see I'm only 'so' good at this, I can't even get Tea's name accented correctly. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that the scriptures are some great nonfiction books in my eyes, Mom =)

Jim Lehrer (of PBS Newshour fame) has written severeal novels, some of which would qualify as historical fiction. "No Certain Rest" might be one you'd enjoy.

Hey, are you able to get out to the IF library these days? That would be a great way to add to your reading pile without having to buy it first!

MomR said...

So how do I get to the links you've added? I don't see them either on this page or the original page. Yes, you can add Kim too. Thanks for all you're doing.

MomR said...

T�a, I'll keep Jim Lehrer in mind. We could go to the library, but we do have quite a few books around here already to read first. I borrowed the Faith of our Fathers series from Grandma W. I want to finish reading the Before the Glory series that is about the American Revolution. We used the library for volume IV. There are at least nine volumes now so I have some catching up to do. They are by Ron Carter I think. I know Carter is the last name anyway. He is LDS also.

MomR said...

When I'm writing T�a's name, it comes right on this Leave your Comment Space. But when it is printed, it comes out gibberish but different gibberish than T�a has on her published comments. Interesting, huh?

MomR said...

As you can see in my published comment at least this program is consistent. :)

Tigersue said...

Yes I can see the links. They are there on the right side of your screen. right below the link notation. I'm not sure why you can't see them.

Anonymous said...

Re: Links--Is there a way to move them back to the top of the sidebar? I'm not seeing them unless I scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Re: accents in the comments
If I understand it correctly, you have to use html codes in blogger comments, like those found here

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/HTMLchrc.html

é should produce an é

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I didn't have trouble with the ALT 130 there

& # 2 3 3 (without the spaces) is what I entered to get the first accented e

Tigersue said...

I mentioned this in my blog comments to the same question. I'm not sure why the links go to the bottom like that. Mine changed when I added the tiger. But that isn't an issue here. I just started using the firefox browser and I'm not having that problem, the links are where they should be. I'm not sure what the difference is.