Saturday, November 11, 2006

My New Favorite Hymn

I mentioned right after General Conference that I have a new favorite hymn. It is Come unto Him # 114 in the hymn book. I was touched by both the words and the melody when the Tabernacle Choir sang it in general conference, then our ward chorister chose it to sing the very next Sunday. I was so touched by it I couldn't even sing all of the words.....just read them and listen to them as the rest sang it.

Here are the words:

I wander through the still of night,
When solitude is ev'rywhere--
Alone beneath the starrylight,
And yet I know that God is there.

I kneel upon the grass and pray;
An answer comes without a voice.
It takes my burden all away A
And makes my aching heart rejoice.

When I am filled with strong desire
And ask a boon of him, I see
No miracle of living fire,
But what I ask flows into me.

And when the tempest rages high
I feel no arm around me thrust,
But ev'ry strom goes rolling by
When I repose in Him my trust.

It matters not what may befall,
What thrat'ning hand hangs over me;
He is my rampart through it all,
My refuge from mine enenmy.

Come unto him all ye depressed,
Ye erring souls whose eyes are dim,
Ye weary ones who long for rest.
Come unto Him! Come unto Him!

The words touch my soul even as I type them now. I can feel His loving arms around me as I type them. (And as far as I know, I am not in crises here now.) It feels so comforting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's no surprise to me that you feel comfort. We've all fallen, we're all sinners, trials come in all sizes--we all need to come unto Him continually.

MomR said...

So true.