Saturday, November 11, 2006

Hello again!

It has been a long time since I have added to this blog; since I've been able to add to it. All right I could have done it a week ago....but....Anyway, it all started about a month ago when I started having trouble with my Outlook e-mail. I would see messages come in and then immediately leave and not be able to read them. I called my "computer tech" son and had him help me defragment my computer (it hadn't been done since I got it in June). But first I called DELL and tried to see if they could help me. Each time I call DELL I get India. Sometimes I get someone who can speak English well but most of the time I have to listen very hard to understand the person on the other end. Anyway, I was told I had to buy a service for $239 before they could do anything at all to help me. I told them that I had just purchased my computer and that it was still under warrenty. The woman said that that didn't make any difference that I would have to purchase that agreement for the stated price before she could do anything at all to help me. (What I should have done is just hung up and called Kim.) I then gave her permission to control my computer by remote and she went thro' everything. She couldn't really find anything wrong. I don't know if that is why I couldn't get into this sight or the defragmenting part. Anyway, after those two things I was no longer able to get on. It was very frustrating to say the least. So I called my two computer savvy daughters-in-law and set up a gmail account. I think I will really enjoy that. When I was in the process of doing that, I had trouble getting online because of Teton Wireless, my server. Kim finally said, "Why don't you just go Qwest and be done with it. You've had nothing but trouble with Teton Wireless and you have not got the service you have been paying for!" That was true. I would have gone Qwest went I first left dial-up except my phone lines were too noisy." When Karen went Qwest broadband, I tho't, "If Karen can get Qwest out where she is, I should be able to also!" So I called and I could. So I've been toying with the idea for a few months. Anyway, I called Qwest on October 30. They said they could have the modem to me by Thursday, November 2. It was here when we got back from the temple. I started Friday morning to set it up. My first problem became evident when I found out that I need to plug my computer directly into the phone jack. Since the phone jack is across a 19 ft. long room, I needed to go get a longer ethernet cord. We first went to Wal-mart and all they had was a 50 ft. cord. We figured that a 25 ft. cord would be ample. So we then went to Circuit City and got a 25 ft. cord for almost as much as it would have cost to get the 50 ft. at Wal-Mart. When we got home and got it strung out, it wasn't long enough!. I hadn't tho't about the fact that it takes more length when you have to go around and behind things. So we went back to Circuit City and found out that they did have a 50 ft. cord but it would have cost over $40 and we could get it at Wal-Mart for $24. Just a dollar more than what we had paid for the 24 ft. one there. So we got our money back and went back to Wal-Mart and got the 50 ft. cord they had. We got home and got it finally strung and put together and It wouldn't work. The little screen said that it wasn't hooked up right. I was soooo frustrated. The literature that came with the modem said that it would be easy!! So I called Karen and explained that she'd have to e-mail everyone and explain that I wouldn't be able to be on the family chat Sunday. I had called Qwest twice for additional help. One techI tho't told me I didn't need filters on my other phones. (It turned out that I needed filters on all the phones except for the one plugged into the modem since it already had a filter.) Another one told me that I would need the filters but I would need an additional phone line set up. Anyway, Karen explained that she only had one phone line and everything worked out for her. She said, "Call Jon (her son-in-law) and see if he could come and help; he put mine in." That was the answer. I had momentarily forgotten that Shani and Jon and Macie had moved into their new house and now lived here in IF and that he also had a degree in computers. Since he had helped me transfer all my stuff from my old computer to my new one, I tho't it strange I hadn't tho't of that before. (I had more than once wished that Kim lived here so I could ask him to come over to help.) So I did call Jon. They came over Saturday evening and got it all set up for me. After I talked to Karen that Friday evening, I was totally exhausted. I hadn't stopped to go to my exercise class or work out or anything. I felt like I had walked at least two miles or more tho'. So I was finally set. I had my g-mail set up thanks to Tanya and Téa and had my broadband thanks to Jon. And I was able to participate on the family chat. We were all six of us on for a short time for a change. It was sooo good to be able to chat with everyone and learn what all has been going on in their lives. I am content. (For the moment anyway.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*whew*
I feel a little tired after reading all of that! Glad to see you back in action =)

MomR said...

It's so good to be back.