Sunday, November 12, 2006

Historical Day

Today we attended our first Regional conference via satellite. It was even on the KIDK news last night. It stated that 66 stakes would meet with the Regional conference, each in its own Stake Center. Today, however Elder Anderson stated that 76 stakes were meeting in Southeast Idaho. Later President Faust mentioned the 76 stakes in Southeast Idaho and Western Wyoming. So my guess is 66 stakes in SE Idaho and 10 stakes from Western Wyoming. I don't think I am off more than a stake or two each way. It was a delightful conference. Elder Neil L. Anderson is one of the seven Presidents of the Seventy and is over the Stakes in SE Idaho and Western Wyoming too I guess. He spoke, then Sister Bonnie D. Parken spoke, then Elder Dallen H. Oaks spoke. Then President James E. Faust spoke. We adjourned at 11:40 so it was a little shorter than most conferences but still very good. Each of the speakers told of their tie to Idaho. Elder Anderson was reared in the Cubbuck area and graduated from Highland High School in Pocatello. Sister Parkins grandparents lived in Coltman in our stake and helped settle that area. I guess her mother grew up there. I couldn't help but wonder if she were a cousin once or twice reoved to Susan Butikofer (Sister Parkin's mother's maiden name) who went to nursing school with me. She said her mother would always break into song And Here We Have Idaho winning her way to fame.... as they crossed the boarder of Idaho and Utah on their way to visit their grandparents. Elder Oaks stated that he grew up in the Twin Falls area until 1940 when his father died and his mother moved back to Utah to be near her family. He said that his mother always broke into song And Here We Have Idaho as they were traveling up here also to visit family. President Faust stated that he felt left out because he had never lived in Idaho. But had come up to Island Park to visit and Uncle and Aunt who had a home there. But he had eaten many many lovely Idaho potatoes. Elder Anderson told of his experiences in Brazil as an area authority down there and of one time when he met with one of the mission presidents there in Brazil how excited this mission president was because they were getting five new missionaries that week and three of them were from Idaho. He said that Idaho young men and young women have a reputation of knowing how to work and work hard. Elder Oaks stated he liked to claim his Idaho routes especailly when the work ethic of the Idaho missionaries was discussed. He was more light hearted and we saw him smile more than I ever have seen him before. He had some very good counsel but he was so relaxed and at ease as he gave it. He stated that there were four short things that a man should tell his wife every day: 1. I love you. 2. I'm sorry. 3. Yes, Dear and 4. We can't afford it. Both he and Elder Anderson as well as Pres. Faust spoke on unnecessary debt and to be watchful and don't go there. He said it isn't right to pay for February's food with July's paycheck. Pres. Faust said that the brethren have always stated that we shouldn't go into debt for anything but a home or education and maybe a car. "And," he said, "I haven't heard any of the prophets say anything different." Elder Oakes also stated that more and more young men and young women are arriving at the MTC with tatttoos. He said,
"Leave the tattoos alone!" Sister Parkin talked about her time with her husband as mission presidents in England. She stated what she always told the missionaries at General Conference time and then later challenged us to do the same four things: 1. Listen to or read intently the messages of the brethren and sisters who speak to us. 2. With the help of the Holy Ghost pick out an area that you can improve upon that was spoken of. 3. Live that principal for the next six months. and 4. Report how living that principal has changed our lives.

They all bore their testimonies of the Divinity of the Savior and His love for us. It was such a good conference and left me with such a good feeling. We were sitting on the front row on the west side of the chapel. We got there about 9:20 to get a good seat in the chapel. As President Batt, our stake president, came down off the stand he came over and shook hands with each of us. He looked at my sweetheart and asked how we were doing. Karl said, "I'm doing OK and she's doing better all the time." Then President Batt asked if we had tho't of going on one of those stay at home missions at the Family History Center. Karl said, "Or the Temple Visitor's Center?" And President Batt replied, No the Family History Center." Karl said, "I don't know how to do that." And President Batt said, "They will teach you and you can work on your own ancestors when there isn't someone else there to be helping." My heart sang! I have been thinking and praying that maybe we could do something like that and would the Lord please let us know if we could serve and where He would want us to serve." I, after I collected my tho'ts caught up to President Batt and told him that what he said was an answer to my prayers. And he said, "The tho'ts just came to me and to ask you." I am even more sure that that was an answer to my prayers. So now I am praying when the Lord wants us to speak to the bishop and turn in our papers etc. I had been praying that we could do it around tithing settlement time. That isn't really that far away. Probably less than a month. I'm being released from being the building scheduler next week and so neither will have any callings other than as visiting and home teachers. And with a home mission, altho' I don't know for sure, we could still continue doing those things. My heart is singing right now and I am happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous meeting! The mission is an exciting possibility too--can't wait to hear more!

MomR said...

We called President Batt tonight and got the ball rolling. He said it would probably be mid December before we received the called. It will be a service mission and could be for six months or a year or 18 months....our choice. He said they let people serve up to three years then they have to take six months off then they can go back. He also said that the FHC is 20 couples short!

Tigersue said...

That would be wonderful. I am so glad to hear about it. I think you would really enjoy it.

MomR said...

Thanks Tanya and Téa

I love you both.