Thursday, June 29, 2006

Building Body Mass

This week completes four weeks of walking on Tuesday and Thursday. I started on June 6. I wasn't sure how far I could walk when I started but felt like I needed to do it. I've wanted to lose a little more weight to reach my goal. Before I had my surgery my fat % was 50.9% and 112.5 lbs. My fat free mass was 108.5 lbs. The last week of May I weighed in at Dr. Baird's office on the 24th and my fat % was 37.9% at 54 lbs. My fat free mass or muscle mass was 89 lbs. So you can see that I lost muscle as well as fat along with my weight.

This past weekend I was feeling discouraged because after three weeks of walking, my scales hadn't gone down one single bit. If anything it went up alittle and I didn't care for that idea. The New U program sent out literature last month to the effect that since those of us that have passed our year mark since our surgery didn't come into the office for monthly checks, that every Monday from 10:00am to noon we come go in and weigh and visit with them. I decided to take advantage of that. Last Monday I was up 2 lbs. from where I was on the 24th of May. But the good news is my fat % was 32.1% at 46.5 lbs. and my fat free mass or muscle mass was 98.5 lbs.!! I was sooo thrilled to learn that. I've been working out upstairs on the machines at Apple Athletic Club pretty close to two times a week as well as doing Pilates both since the middle of January. And I hadn't really noticed much increase in muscle mass nor much decrease in fat mass. Now that I have built up the mucsle, I should be burning calories more efficiently so should be able to lose that last 10 lbs. much more easily.

We walked the hills at Community Park this week. I am still the very slowest but I walked further faster today than I did Tuesday and that is what counts. Altho' I'm tired when we get back I am feeling better all the time. I feel better about myself too. It's been 15 months today since I had my bariactric surgery. I'm so thankful I did it. I am so much healthier now than I was then there is no comparison.

3 comments:

Tigersue said...

Always remember that muscle weighs more than fat so you need to do measurements besides the scale. It is the only way to guage what you are doing on your own. Weight gain should not bother you, if your measurements are going down. As you noticed a decrease in fat and an increase in muscle easily explains that 2 lb gain.

MomR said...

Yes. I agree. i immediately told myself those were 2 good lbs. gained. I can tell my clothes are fitting a little loser. I was able to move to the next row of hooks on my bra. The other one is feeling too big around. I may have to go to a smaller size.=) 32! It's hard to imagine but elating.

Anonymous said...

Great news!