Tuesday, September 07, 2010

We have had a very busy week

This past week has been a very eventful and interesting week. Richard had called us late Sunday and told us that they were in Pocatello….had gotten there Saturday evening. We saw them Tuesday evening, meeting them at Arctic Circle. It was very nice seeing them. They bought us lunch. I especially enjoyed visiting with Duncan. The other children wanted to play on the toys. We had a very nice visit. He told me about his being the only deacon in his ward after his last friend moves out next month and that he is a home teaching companion with his dad now even tho’ he won’t turn even13 for a couple more weeks. It was soo good to see everyone. All of the children, of course, have grown. We were there about 2 ½ hours and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wednesday we went to the FHC, of course. I got my hair colored that morning. I look and feel much better. All of the gray hair growing around my face makes me feel so blah. I feel much better (as well as look much better). I was able to help a few people. I left early because it was our Visiting Teachers Conference at 6:30 and they had a very nice luncheon with it. Almost all summer long there have only been 1 or 2 patrons come in after 5:00 so I decided I would ask permission to leave early so Karl and I drove over separately. When I asked Elder Hall if it was OK if I left (it was 6:20), he said “Of course, you can, you are your own boss now.” Referring to my being one of the directors now. I told him only on Saturday not on Wednesday.

Wednesday morning I had called Richard and asked him if he and his family would like to go to the zoo Thursday afternoon. He said they would discuss it and get back to me. He called around 10:00 am or so Thursday and told me that they would very much like to go. We met them there about 2:15. We had a lovely time while there. The weather was perfect…in the high 70’s. A year ago we had gone to the zoo with Michael and his family and it was in the high 80’s or low 90’s then. We didn’t see many animals other than the birds. All of the big animals except the Sloth Bears, were in their dens trying to keep out of the heat. This time we saw the snow leopards (two of them), the lions, the tiger (which roared for us for at least five full minutes), the red pandas as well as the farm yard animals and zebras and yak and llamas, and the monkey house too. It was a very delightful day. I did much better than I had tho’t I could. I only sat down three times in the 2 ½ hours we were there and it was close to an hour before I had to sit down the first time. I really am being blessed. Richard treated us to the new Hong Kong restaurant afterwards. We had never been there before. The food is like the Chinese Garden used to be before it changed ownership. We got home around 6:30. That was my birthday treat with Richard and their children.

Friday, Karen came up and took me to brunch at Perkins. We had a very enjoyable visit. We took our time and weren’t rushed. She had to be to an appointment by 12:30 so we drove separately. By the time I got home, Karl had gone to AAC to exercise and shower. I had a lovely visit on the phone with my mother and Bryan and my mother-in-law. All in all it was a very nice day. That afternoon I made a double batch of zucchini brownies. I took the larger pan to the FHC the next day and saved the smaller one for Sunday. That afternoon Karl found an envelope in our paper box with my name on it. It was a card that one of my visiting teacher had made and a pair of earrings that she also had made. I tho’t that was so sweet of her to do that. I really like the earrings. I also had 15 wishes on Facebook for my birthday and e-mails from my siblings and other two sons too. All in all it was a very nice day.


Saturday, we got to the FHC by 8:00 so I could open it up and get it ready for the day. The Butterworths got there shortly after so Brother B could help me count the money and put it in the till (or I help him). I was very busy helping the patrons and the missionaries all day long. I was so tired when we finished. We needed to go to Winco to get some things for the next day for dinner. Richard and family were coming to dinner after attending church with us . Believe me when I say: it is much different cooking for 11 than for two! But they all seemed to enjoy the food. And there weren’t as many leftovers as it looked like there would be…which is good. We were also supposed to stop and get gas in the Taurus after going to Winco but I was soo tired I forgot. So Sunday after finishing dinner we rested an hour or so then drove to Karen’s and so we had to use the Buick because the Taurus only had 57 miles worth of gas and it is at least 60 miles round trip from our house to Karen’s. We were on fumes with the Buick too by the time we got back but with the Lord’s help we made it and had enough fumes to drive to the gas station Monday morning. Bryan and Sara were there at Karen’s too. They had come from Nebraska the day before to take Sara up to BYU the next day.. Brittany and Wes and Olivia came over to do ice while we were there so we got to see them too. Olivia is sooo cute! And she rules the roost. She has a big sister, three brothers and a grandpa that jump at her every sound. She is 11 months old and already has them all well-trained.  She is a very happy baby. We got home from Blackfoot about 8:00. And we were very tired again. While we were down there Richard was able to finally make the final arrangements for Elena and Ken’s baptism. The kink was thrown in because Ken is 21 years old and is a convert baptism while Elena is a child of record baptism. Richard & Téa said they called Bishop Hayes the end of June to start the ball rolling for the double baptism. When Bishop Hayes called the Idaho Pocatello Mission Office then, he was told that since it was a convert baptism that it was out of his jurisdiction. So he breathed a sigh of relief and figured he wouldn’t have to worry about it. The mission President in the Arizona Phoenix Mission told Richard and Ken that all they would need was the recommend stating that Ken had had all of the missionary discussions and the necessary interviews to be baptized and the bishop of the ward here would be able to take care of it. But then the Mission President here in Idaho said that since Ken was a convert baptism that Elders from our mission were required to be there. When Richard was able to contact the zone leaders, he was told that they were unavailable until after 6 pm. That was not acceptable because Ken’s grandparents were driving from Montana to be here for it and it is a 5½-6 hour drive and Brother Rydalch can’t see to drive after dark. Finally Sunday evening Richard was able to get contact the sister missionaries who got the info from him and then passed it on to the Elders, the district leaders. That was about 6:30 pm. Both Téa and Richard were just about sick to their stomachs over the anxiety about all of this. It was so nice for them to come up here to do this. It gets so hot this time of year in Buckeye and neither Téa’s mom nor I tolerate the heat well. It seems to me that if the two mission Presidents had communicated things may have gone more smoothly. Bishop Hayes was finally able to contact President Bach and he deligated the assignment of conducting the ceremony etc. to him. (Bishop Hayes).

Yesterday, I woke up about 6:45 and got up about 7:00. I made three cards, one for Elena, one for Ken and one for my sweetheart because it was our 48th wedding anniversary. (He wrote me a lovely letter for my birthday the day after it and it counted for our anniversary too) We left for the church about 10:20 because we had to go get gas for the Taurus and then drive cross town because the baptisms were held at the Idaho Falls West Stake Center and we live in the East Stake. There were quite a few people there. Karl said the opening prayer and was one of the witnesses and Grandpa Ryldach said the closing prayer and was one of the other witness. Just after we got there Bishop Hayes informed Richard that Grandma Rydalch was giving a talk on the Holy Ghost. That is the one Téa had prepared to give. So she had maybe ten minutes in all to think about what to say. She did very well. I played the piano. Richard had said I didn’t need to worry about music during the interlude when everyone was changing their clothes. But the bishop came and asked me if I could do it. So I did. As I played I thanked the Lord for preparing me to do it at the spur of the moment with my experience as piano player for the Relief Society as well as the FHC with the prelude music I played then. I have worked up a few pieces with substituting broken cords for the complete cords and it sounded good if I do say so myself. I shook hands with the Elders and they left immediately after helping to fold up the chairs while pictures were being taken. I was able to talk to the sister missionaries a little. Sister Kaveinga led the singing. She is of Tongan descent but if from Los Angeles as was the other sister. She had been out in the mission field 7 months while her companion was a “greenie” and had only been out five weeks. After the baptism we met at Chuck-a-rama for the luncheon afterwards. Téa’s mom and R & T treated us. Téa’s Dad was also there. It was good to see him again and get to visit a little with him. Karen was also at the baptism. We were pleased as was R&T that she was able to come because it is “Fair Week” and that is a very busy week because they keep their business going as well as spend almost all day at the fair supplying the food booths there with ice, and milk and cheese, etc. We got home from Chuck-a-rama by 3:00. Bryan had called about 1:30 to tell us that he was ready to leave Rexburg and would stop at Shani’s and then stop and see us. He got here around 4:00. We had a lovely visit with him. Showed him our “garden” and got a few pointers on it and pruning our peach tree. He also gave me some advice about the computer. He then took us out to eat at the new Hong Kong again for our anniversary. He dropped us off here at home about 7:40. We had a good meal there too. All in all it was a very good day.

I have been so tired by evening the last week that I am so thankful that I can be ready to go again after a good nights sleep. Thank goodness that I sleep well at night. The coming week will be similar in that we have busy things going every day. Will report that next week.

No comments: