Thursday, January 28, 2010

How Do You Hold Onto An Angel?

Monday, I learned that my niece had her baby and it only lived three short hours. My heart literally aches for her, her husband and her parents. My mother’s parents have 200 descendants and this is the first and only baby that has died shortly after birth in those descendants. It is such a sad thing. My tho’t has been that she only needed to receive her body to go on in her eternal progression. Understanding that helps but does not take away the pain. I was wondering the other day if my father, who died forty years ago, was there to greet her. As I wondered this, the Spirit whispered to me that he may have been but the Savior was there to greet her with open arms for sure. I am copying two documents that my brother sent me. The first is written by the father of the baby and the second by my brother:

Colette’s Story
January 26, 2010
There are many and yet no words that I can say that does our hearts justice. The last few days have held many colors of emotion. In this small time our family has lived a lifetime.

We have felt the excitement of a new spirit knocking at our door. The whirlwind of change as she joined us in the delivery room. The pride felt of knowing our family is +1. This was a daughter of our god making herself known. The sudden energy of compassion poured out around us from the resourceful and intelligent staff. The loving power and awarmth of the priesthood. The dizzying amount of technological advancements beeping around us. The capability to say, “I love you”, over long distances. The painful reluctance and humble concession to our Heavenly Father’s will. A tender snuggle from one so small. The tears of strangers now shared as a untied family. The thunderous unyielding efforts to reunite mother with daughter. The peaceful feel of a daughter returned home. The piercing heartbeat of a unbreakable bond.

Our Heavenly Father has blessed us, not only with another one of his daughters, but one who cared to make herself known. One so strong in spirit that she, communicated with a two year old using gentle nudges from a tummy, bring a smile to her older brother’s face in just single thought, unite mother and father closer than ever before, bring complete strangers together with strength of spirit and conviction. She delivered our Heavenly Father’s tender mercy and love with a single, self-sustained breath.

She shared her simple testimony with us and now, I as her earthly father share this part of my heart and the testimony of my love for our Savior. I testify of the simple truth of our Heavenly Father’s perfect plan, and with a heavy heart, relay how grateful I am for the blessings that come from an Eternal Family. I encourage all who read this to take this little girl’s humble example and share your life’s testimony. Have no fear even until your last breath! I have learned that without words you have the power to change hearts and strengthen many!

With humble gratitude I leave you this testimony in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Dusty

How Do You Hold on to an Angel?
By Roy C Wendel
As I write these words, my heart is breaking. After a brief three-hours in mortality, my precious, sweet, perfect little granddaughter, Colette Eliza Chadwick returned home to a loving and understanding Heavely Father. This all happened on Sunday, January 24, 2010.

I awoke early Monday morning, sobbing in my bed. later that day I went downstairs and wrote three questions on a pad of paper.
1. How do you hold an Angel?
2. How many tars does it take to heal a broken heart?
3. Who helped her home?
When I woke up this morning, Tuesday, January 26th the answers came to me through the warm comfort of the spirit.

Angels come and go in our lives all of the time. Some stay for a while and some do not. Colette is one of those angels! She came-she only needed a physical body to complete her salvation and become perfect. She drew one unassisted breathe into her small undeveloped lungs. That was all she needed to be perfected. So I ask the question again- How do you hold onto an angel? The answer I received was swift and clear-“You don’t hold on to an angel- Angels hold onto you!”

Broken hearts are hard to heal. It seems that a heart breaks all at once. One moment it is whole- the next it is shattered. Like a piece of crystal thrown against a brick wall-it seems impossible to reassemble! As I lay in bed crying I was asking this question, “How many tears will it take to heal a broken heart?” again the answer was swift and sure-“it takes a million gazillion tears to heal a broken heart—but they are not all yours!” tears have been shed by family, friends, and most importantly by our Savior. We have been surrounded by love, supported by faith, and taught a great lesson by an angel who lived such a short time. Yes, there will be lots of tears-but no one will be shedding them alone!

I once had the privilege of helping the primary present a depiction of the plan of salvation to the children. They went from pre-mortal life to mortality then on to immortality. At each stage I was able to talk with them and explain what was going to happen. I felt impressed to say to each of them, “Don’t worry, although you don’t know exactly what is going to happen, there will be someone there who knows you and loves you and they will help you along.” This morning I was wondering about Colette. I was reflecting on my third question, “Who was there to help her home?” once again the answer was plan and perhaps more than comforting. It was just two words that came into my mind—“I AM” the great I AM—the creator and Savior of the universe, the keeper of the gate who employeth no servant there, it was He who received Colette, it was He who gave me comfort and understanding.

Now the real work begins. We have a member of our family who is perfected and waiting for the rest of us. It is my prayer that we will each do what we know we need to do to make sure that this little, sweet, perfect, Colette Eliza Chadwick is not alone.

Remember—you don’t hold an angel—an angel holds on to you!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Beautiful and tender, thank you for sharing