Sunday, June 17, 2007

Vacation Time ?

The FHC is now officially closed for three weeks. I hope we can keep busy and accomplish much while it is closed. We need to clean our carpets and pick out and possibly get a new bathtub put in. The one we have is leaking down between the tub and the wall and Karl has put a wastebasket down stairs to catch the drips from it. I hope we can get that taken care of during that time. We also need to get some vertical blinds in the living room. We looked into getting some right after the first of the year. We first went to Home Depot and couldn’t get anyone to wait on us. After almost 15 minutes after someone told us that they would get someone to wait on us, we left and went to LOWE’S. We had the same experience there. However, we didn’t wait quite so long there. Tomorrow I need to call the Blind Man to have him come out and make an estimate. Our windows are not the conventional kind so they will have to be custom made. There are two or three places in the yellow pages that all give free estimates. I may call them all….who knows? Richard and Téa are supposed to get here next week and be here and in the area for about two weeks. It is nice that we won’t have to work around the center to do things with them. And we need to go to Utah some time to see our children, grandchildren and my mother also. We were talking about going this week but Mama told me last week that there is a Hurst Reunion on June 20 there in Orem and with gas sooo expensive, we may wait and go then. I'll call Richard tonight and see what their plans are...I hope they know or will know soon.
Last Wednesday I helped four different people at FHC. One was my husband, Karl; another was a new missionary who has worked in genealogy for many years. She asked me for help on the Temple Ready program. I was able to give it to her. The other two were patrons who came in. When I didn’t know something I knew who to ask which is the thing to do. The first thing I asked on (a patron had come in and put her own file thro’ Temple Ready herself but didn’t print out the first sheet that gives us the numbers we need to record of the ordinances that need to be done.) I was able to help someone else later without having to ask anyone else. It made me feel good that I was able to remember it. The second patron that I helped after helping her find out that her grandmother, born in Brazil, had had her temple work done for her, I helped her get registered for familysearch.org so she find these things out at home. The message that came back suggested that she had all ready registered. She couldn’t remember doing so; sp I went and got Brother Mondock. He has the authority to get into the system and see if she had registered before. She had done and he was able to show her what her username had been and how to retrieve her password. I later helped Karl retrieve his password since he had put it in wrong and wasn’t sure about it. Karl was able to finally get thro’ his PAF file and got it all cleaned up so we ran it thro’ Temple Ready Update files. He only got about six updates on that so the next step is to use PAF Insight and get the ordinances from there. After that then you can use either Family Searcher or just go to the IIGI at FamilySearch..org and find out what other work has been done. By doing this we prevent duplication of the work. I found out last week why I didn’t feel anything when Johannes Rufener the son was baptized. His work had already been done. I had checked it before but the system was being worked on in SLC and it didn’t come thro’ as already having been done so it was done again. Karl went thro’ for his endowment a week ago. And it had been done too. He could have gone thro’ for Samuel, whose work hasn’t been done. He will have to wait for three more weeks. The temple is closed the same three weeks as the FHC is. That is disappointing to me. It has been harder to get to the temple since we have been spending two and three days at FHC. We did intiatory work last Tuesday instead of going thro’ a session or Samuel’s work would be done. He had been baptized many years ago but no endowment could be found. We had a summer picnic Friday afternoon with the people who work at FHC. They had hot dogs, fancy ones, and salads and cookies. This counted for our zone meeting for both June and July. Sister Hendricks told us Wednesday that we needed to register as consultants on FamilySearch.org by the end of the month. We will be helping to teach people about the new program that will be coming out later this year. She said that it is already being used in one temple district in Utah. It is where people will be able to make their own cards to take names to the temple. They will no longer have to go the FHC and get a floppy disk and take it to the temple to have their cards run off. There is also supposed to be a better system to prevent duplication. It sounds like a wonderful program. I am excited to learn it and be able to teach others about it.
I went to see Dr. Baird a couple of weeks ago for my annual check up since it has been two years since by bariatric surgery. His scales were broken so I couldn’t get a weight or print out of my fat %, or muscle % etc. He asked what I had weighed that morning. I told him 160#. I am up 20# from my low. I told him that I had gained 12 # muscle since then and that had to count for something. He agreed but said that some of it had to be fat too. I agreed with that too. He said he wanted me to get down to a BMI (body mass index) of 25. I was only down to 26 when I was 20# lighter. I am now @ 29. He suggested that I see the dietician, Sandy with the New U program. So I went to see her a week later. She told me that everyone bottoms out even and even if they are doing everything right, they gain 10-20#. She took my weight and I had gained 13# muscle from my all time low. Since muscle weighs more than fat and since I still fit into my clothes, she said that I’m doing just fine and have nothing to worry about. BUT I shouldn’t go above where I am now. I should have a five # margin between 157 # and 162 # and not gain above that. I have lost four # from last Sunday. But, I have really been exercising too. We exercised six days last week. Did water aerobics four times and did the walking class two days. I am encouraged that I have lost that little bit. Some of it is water since I went off my Actos, one of my diabetic pills, last Sunday. My feet have been swelling more and someone told me that he had lost 20# after going off of it. I called and talked at the nurse at Rocky Mountain Diabetes Center and told her I had gone off of it and asked her to tell the doctor and if he didn’t like the idea that I would like him to call me. He didn’t so….I can imagine him saying, “We’ll just wait and see what her next A1c is.” We go in again next month on the 24th. My fasting blood sugars have been between 81-96. I hope it works out OK. I’m still taking 500 mg metformin for diabetes twice a day. I’d rather go back to 1000 twice a day instead of going back on the Actos. Time will tell.

3 comments:

K said...

Would it be possible for you to take Alex and Grace back to Idaho when you come? My mom is going to keep them for a week or two and we are trying to find a way to get them there.

MomR said...

If they pack light and we pack light it should work. We are still not sure when we will be coming nor how long we will stay. I'll let you know.

K said...

I'll make sure they pack light. Also could they spend some time at your house to give my mom a break once in a while? I love you and appreciate you taking them for us!