Sunday, May 27, 2007

A Wonderful Week

It’s been another busy week, but a good one. Last Sunday was our ward conference. As President Batt started speaking, he said, “What would ward conference be without calling people up from the audience to bear their testimonies.” I had the impression that I might be called. When I wasn’t I just dismissed it. Well, today, President Fulks of the stake presidency was the concluding speaker in our sacrament meeting. He asked that I bear my testimony. I did have about 20 minutes notice to think about it. He said I was to bear my testimony regarding our calling as missionaries in the Family History Center. I was impressed that I was to tell the experiences I’ve had over the last few months concerning the finding and doing the work for Johannes Rufener. So that’s what I did. I spoke probably seven or eight minutes. I asked him later if I took too long and he told me know that it was just right and what I told them he didn’t have to tell them. His talk was also on Family History which I didn’t know while I was giving my talk. It was a good experience for me. I also told them that my sweet husband was not only baptized for Johannes Rufener and his son but went thro’ for his endowments last Friday. Now I feel like that chapter is completed. He still needs to do the endowments for Johannes, the son and Samuel another son.

Last week was our last training class as missionaries at FHC. Elder Killian taught the last class of three that day and told us about Rootsweb.com which is another website where people post genealogy. After wards he asked to just say a few words concerning our missions there. There were six of us completing our training that day. He told us that our work there was very important and was part of God’s work and His plan. He also told us that the General Authorities have told him that people who work at family history centers will have a special role in the here after. He said that people will be lined up by the hundreds to have us help them get connected to their families. He got quite emotional while he was telling us this and I got emotional also. I felt a great thrill go thro’ me to think that I am part of this great work. I have had a witness many times in the last six weeks that this is what we are supposed to be doing at this time. I am so thankful that my health has improved to the point I can do this. I know that I can be instrumental in finding Johannes Rufener’s parents and his ancestors. I believe that I can also be instrumental in finding Nathaniel Bowen’s parents and ancestors on my mother’s side of the family. The people who have been researching that side of the family have hit a brick wall and can find nothing on him beyond his birth. It may take many years, but, hey, I’ve got time!

That evening at 5:00 we had our second zone conference since we started our mission. We were asked if we would take care of the music. At first Elder Killian tho’t it was Brother & Sister Carl & Kerry Robbins who was taking care of the music. We both of us over lap on Wednesdays from 1-5 so there is some confusion there since our names are so close. Sister LaRita Hendricks gave her conversion story. She was 21 years old when she joined the church. She had been raised as a catholic. She was very religious as was her husband. When he was in danger of being drafted to go to Vietnam, he joined the Navy. They both were raised in Blackfoot. The young missionary who found her in Ventura, California, was raised in Moorland, just west of Blackfoot. They were both home sick and had an immediate bonding. She wanted to learn more about her husband’s faith even tho’ she had no intension of joining the church at the time. Of course once she found out it was true, she could do nothing else. She also had Lane Harker, who was the young missionary come and speak to us for a few minutes as well. I had stayed there at the center and continued working on my PAF program, while Karl ran errands and went home and got me a half of sandwich. I was very hungry by the time he got back. We got home about 6:15. So I was there at the center for approximately 10 ½ hours. It was a long day and altho’ I was very tired, it was a good feeling. I was very glad to have been there. I also had the confirmation that by my being Relief Society pianist again, I can be practiced up and can play most any song they can pick without any advanced notice. That is a good feeling also. That is a case where preparation many years ago makes it possible to fulfill those callings now. When Brother Paul Chugg, first counselor in our bishopric, set me apart as the RS pianist, he told me that I would have the health and ability to play and do my best. That blessing has certainly come to pass already. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing this time and altho’ a play a few minutes almost every day, I don’t have to spend hours practicing before I could play well like I did when I was called to be RS pianist before when I hadn’t played the piano for many years. I’m am so thankful that my parents allowed me to and provided a way for me to learn the piano when I was young.

No comments: