Thursday, September 28, 2006

What Karl wrote in honor of his mother

MY MOTHER FROM AN ADULT SON’S VIEW POINT


I’ve always felt I was blessed to be born to the best mother and father I could have had on this earth. My mother has been and is dedicated to be supportive and understanding, showing or feeling empathy whether things are gong difficultly or well. She helped out like a good farmer’s wife and was appreciative of Daddy’s hard work and desire to please her and make her laugh. She was able to instill or encourage her sons to do their best to help Daddy and achieve their personal goals. She was seldom critical, but supportive in her children’s and Daddy’s choices. I remember when Daddy broke up the ground south of the ranch house and we and Mom gathered up the sagebrush in piles to burn. That was team work.

My work ethic was inspired by my father, who loved horses and was appreciative of nature and enjoyed growing crops and of course battled against weeds and varmints (squirrels, badgers, mice, certain birds). And in so many ways enjoyed being who he was--- never afraid to fix things and to make use of machinery. He grew up depending on physical strength, taking good care of horses and being friendly and helpful. Only three or four men got on his bad side…stinkers…Don Clegg and Ben Comish to name two. He enjoyed teaching his boys how to do things and seldom criticized except to say “one boy is a boy, two boys is half a boy and three boys is no boy at all.” He believed in Scouting, “Be prepared” “Do it well” in so many ways. My mother worried a lot and also was able to laugh and see the lighter side of things and always had good advice when asked for her opinion.

From my own experience of being a husband and father I know I am blessed with the best woman and daughter of God I’ve ever met. We make a good team and I admire the loving nature of her as mother and she is appreciative and patient as well---most of the time--- and able to tolerate my idiosyncrasies. She appreciates my talents and efforts to please and serve and visa versa---much like my own mother and father did. Music has been a good common ground and source of peace of mind, inspiration and a way to enjoy and get past hard times.

I have enjoyed my relationship with Mom and Renée both in the sense---that they can tolerate my teasing nature to a point. I am so impressed with the enduring and patient nature of mothers for that is one of the best ways I know to gain insight into how much Our Father in Heaven loves us and wants us to feel good about ourselves. It helps a man realize the importance of serving and appreciating life….and the children we are blessed with because of their endowment and desire to be mothers. My concept of self-worth as a spirit child is enhanced through being husband and father as well as son and brother. I know God loves me because of the parents, my wife and children---with whom I am blessed---their love and example.

No comments: