Monday, July 16, 2007

Back to Work at the FHC

Tomorrow our oldest son will be 44 years old. He is the one who made us parents. He is a fine young man, so conscientious about his work, his family, and his callings in the church. He will retire from the Air Force after 20 years this coming November. The Air Force has been good for him and he has been good for it. When he was in 2nd grade they gave the students an IQ test. His teacher told me that he scored very high—in the near genius range. I asked if he were so smart, how come his grades and school work was just mediocre. Mrs. Olsen told me that when someone lights a fire under him, he will really take off. He just sort of coasted thro’ grade school, junior high, and high school as well as college. Nothing seemed to challenge him. Until he joined the Air Force. It has been enough challenge, I think, and he has done very well with it.

Last week we started again at the Family History Center. Our first day back was Wednesday. I had a nightmare just before I became completely awake (I was aware enough to know that we were going to be at the FHC that afternoon but still not fully conscious. I call it the twilight zone.) I was at the FHC and went to help a patron and my mind went blank and I couldn’t remember anything that I had learned before it closed three weeks before. Well, I had a chance to help someone and I hadn’t forgotten everything I had been taught before. I was comforted to know that there were others there who knew more than I did when I had a question.

On Friday I finished updating my PAF with the PAF Insight program that you can go into and find out what ordinances done so they won’t be repeated. So Saturday, I worked about three hours to put it thro’ Family Searcher, another program that they suggest you check for additional ordinances. Then I put it thro’ Temple Ready update then the Temple Ready submission part. I prepared a submission disk to take to the temple tomorrow and get the cards made up for the work to be done. There were 10 male baptisms, 12 female for a total of 22 baptisms. 13 endowments for men and 12 for women for a total of 25. 13 male sealing to parents and 10 sealing to parents for females for a total of 23. And 4 for sealing to parents. It didn’t say which gender. I had really a sense of accomplishment after I had finally completed that. Brother Wolf was there to help me when I wasn’t sure what I was doing. I think after that experience, I’ll be able to help others without difficulty.

I’m now working on Karl’s line. I have perfected a system that I can do it about four times faster than he can. So I will probably do most of his too—here at home anyway. He’ll still be able to work on it at the center tho’. Natasha and Collin are doing baptisms for the dead next month there in Lehi and that’s why I’m trying to finish this so quickly. I have found three so far on his line in the first three pages I have worked on. However, they are all female.
While there Saturday, Brother Cornwall, our supervisor for the day, gave me a quote by Elder Boyd K. Packer. I think I remember when he gave that talk but Saturday it really touched me as I read it. It is:

“You were generals in the War in Heaven and one day when you are in the spirit world, you will be enthralled by those you are associated with. You will ask someone in which time period they lived and you might hear, ‘ I was with Moses when he parted the Red Sea’, or ‘I helped build the pyramids’ or ‘I fought with Captain Moroni.’ Amd as upi are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and aks you which of the prophets’ time did you live in? And when you say ‘Gordon B. Hinkley’s’ a hush will fall over every hall and corridor in Heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous of us and most righteous.”

Whenever I feel down or not worthwhile I will have to remember this.

No comments: