Monday, August 28, 2006

Two good eyes!

I now have two good eyes! My second cataract surgery went very well. Last Thursday, when I was back to the doctor I found out that the vision in my left eye was 20/25. That was just the day after surgery! The vision in my right eye was still 20/40 or was that again. It was painful, very red and swollen. Dr. Affleck said that I was having a rebound. From the prednisone type drops that I had been putting in my eye for a week and hadn’t put any in since Tuesday night per his order. He told me to use the drops four times a day again thro’ the weekend. I put them in just three times yesterday, two times today and will do it just once tomorrow. I think I will taper off the same way with the left eye too. I’m still getting used to seeing when I first open my eyes in the morning. I still can read without my glasses as long as the sun is up. If it’s cloudy that complicates things but that’s OK.

Last week in church we were told that we would be getting a new bishopric this week. Of course all week, we have been wondering who it would be etc. We found out yesterday. Lamar John is the bishop, Paul Chugg is his first counselor and Todd Havens is his second counselor and Troy Lastle is the executive secretary. Ed Harper was released as executive secretary to Bishop Coombs and immediately put in as a high counselman. He will make a good one.

I had a neat experience yesterday. A couple of them really. As I was curling my hair yesterday morning, the name of Lamar John popped into my mind. My next tho’t was, his health isn’t the best and this particular calling really takes a toll on a man’s health. Then the Spirit whispered to me. But the Lord will sustain him and support him and help him thro’ this. Then the verse in I Nephi 3:7 came to my mind: I will go and do the thing which the Lord has commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

After we got to church we noticed that all of Lamar and Vernarae’s children were there except for their daughter who lives in Washington. Sherrie had been here visiting for a couple of weeks about a month ago. Two of them had come up from Utah and the other two live around here. I knew then for sure that he would be in the bishopric and would probably be the bishop. He is very humble about it and will make a very good bishop.

After our block of meetings, we had our interviews with the Stake Presidency for our temple recommends. Karl had written my name down when he wrote his so I didn’t have to wait very long to go in. He was thro’ with his before he came and told me that. President Batt is the one who interviewed me. I told him of my experience while curling my hair. He said, “ I’m glad to hear that you have received that reaffirmation from the spirit.” He said that Bishop John would have been called four or five months ago except for the “natural man in me.” He said that he knew of Lamar’s poor health and that he tires very easily and that’s why he was reluctant. But “I went to the Lord and told him I was sorry and would do what he wanted.” He said that as soon as they discussed it as a Stake Presidency that they knew it was right. He also said that Lamar has the same attitude about it: that the Lord will sustain him and help him do it. I also told Bishop John this experience too and he told me he appreciated my telling him. I know he will make a good bishop. It feels good to know that I'm still in tune and worthy of the promptings of the Spirit even in things like this.
I find that having a temple recommend interview is very humbling. When they ask me if I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and that He is the Savior and Redeemer of the World my heart literally burns within me as I answer. The same with the ones about loving the Lord and our Heavenly Father and sustaining President Hinckley as the Prophet of the church and the only one who receives revelation for the world. Our Stake Presidency, all three members have the questions all memorized so that they look you right in the eye as they ask you. I’m sure they could tell if someone were lying. I feel that they are men of God and know that they are called by him. I’m glad to have this experience. I’m also glad that it is only every two years instead of every year.

3 comments:

Glenda, saved by grace said...

Glad your seeing better!
Go VOTE for Whitney Rodriguez :) This is my darling daughter, Whitney. She performed in Las Vegas back in July 2006 in the USA World Showcase. Whitney was 12 years old at the time and is her first really big performance. She won 1st place in the category of “Most Promising Country Music Singer”. This voting determines the winner of $50,000.00 Hear a little bit of her performance: http://www.mtscproductions.com/video/f17.htm http://www.usatvbroadcast.com/vote.htm She is #59 This would really boost her college fund! Pass this email on to your friends and family if you feel the performance warrants it. Thank you in advance for your participation,

Tigersue said...

I see you have been hit by a spammer! ;)

Anyway thank you so much for sharing your testimony. It was wonderful to read. We also had a bishopric change this weekend. We had two new counselors called. It was too bad that Michael had missed it because he was home with the girls.

Anonymous said...

May you have clarity of vision for a long time to come!